Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Halloween and a pumpkin carving tip

First off, Happy Halloween! Have fun and be safe. We'll be having a quick dinner and then heading out to Trick or Treat. My youngest is going as Darth Vader, and my older son is dressing as a deer hunter.

Now, if you're like my neighbor, you LOVE Halloween. She goes all out with her decorating. Me, I like carving pumpkins. Each of the kids gets a pumpkin of their own, and I get one, all for me.

This year, we had some templates. One was a ghost. I bought a white pumpkin (which, by the way, are absolutely edible) and decided to carve my pumpkin so that some of the flesh was left between the candlelight and the design. Trying to cut a pumpkin this way with a knife is tough, so I asked my husband to bring me his woodcarving chisels. Very, very, very carefully, I made small shallow cuts to remove the skin, and then slowly peeled away layers of the flesh, until the light from a flashlight glowed through.


The ghost turned out so well, that my husband requested a pentacle pumpkin. I can't wait to try out some new designs next year.

No comments: