Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Boys and (dis)Organization

I'm so proud of my middle school son! He handed me his mid-term report today and he's doing SUPER well. That was not the case eight weeks ago. What changed?

Kent has always had a hard time with organization. It's not necessarily a skill people are born with. It can be taught, though.

When it became clear he was having a hard time keeping track of his completed assignments - which meant they might have been completed, but not handed in - I put together a 3-ring binder for him. In the binder, I included pocket folders corresponding to each class. When he finishes an assignment, he puts it in the folder. The binder goes with him to every class.

Last quarter he was practically failing his classes. Now, he has all As and Bs, and NO missing assignments! It worked and I'm proud of him, but more importantly he is feeling better about himself and enjoying school again.

No comments: