Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Not Just Spirited: One Mom's Sensational Journey With Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD) by Chynna Laird

I've been trying to figure out what to say about Not Just Spirited by Chynna Laird. I read it a few months ago, and I had trouble putting it down. It's a VERY personal look into the life of a family with a child who has Sensory Processing Disorder. I have no doubt that other parents will recognize themselves and their children in Chynna's words about her daughter.

Chynna's love for her daughter and her frustration in trying to find out what was wrong is palpable. My heart ached for her through her journey.

I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn about SPD. You can find out more about Chynna and her other books at Lily Wolf Words.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chynna,

What made you want to write such a personal book?

Chynna said...

Hi there! Thanks so much for asking me this question.

It wasn't my original intent to write our story into a book form. It started off as journal entries that I recorded during our process. Journalling is a wonderful way to work through worries, anxieties, and emotions. But then it began to frustrate me that our daughter had this diagnosis that nobody seemed to understand or, in some cases, even know about! That was so angering to me because it made getting help for her even more difficult than it already was!

Then it hit me that there just had to be other parents out there with similar stories---KNOWING something was wrong with their child but being told either that there was no need for their concerns or that it was something else entirely. I decided that if we told our story that it can give another face to this "invisible" disorder and, perhaps, inspire other parents to keep going...to keep moving forward helping their own child.

If our story can do that much, just validate a caregivers feelings or inspire them in some way to forge ahead, it was worth it.

I hope this answers your question.

Warmly,

Chynna
www.lilywolfwords.ca
www.lilywolfwords.blogspot.com
www.goingforfeingold.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

I highly recommend Chynna's books because they are enlightening!